Casey prep work could begin next week

Prep work on the Casey Arborway project is likely to start next week, according to the state Department of Transportation (MassDOT). However, demolition of the existing Casey Overpass is still at least a “few weeks” away, according to planners.

An email sent by MassDOT earlier this week says that Casey contractor Barletta Heavy Division is “tentatively scheduled to begin some preliminary work” next week.

According to that email, work that could begin next week includes surveying, setting up a location office, bringing in of equipment, and setting up jersey barriers.

MassDOT spokesperson Michael Verseckes told the Gazette last week that MassDOT’s best estimate would be that work would begin “in a few weeks.”

“It may be the case where some utility relocation can take place before then, but yes, at this time, with what we know now, it could be a few weeks,” he said.

This is a delay of the original timeline that had demolition beginning significantly earlier in the year, and a likely slight further delay from a revised schedule, which stated that demolition was expected to begin by the end of 2014.

A community meeting that will present construction details is scheduled for Jan. 21 at English High School. Representatives from MassDOT and the contractor, Barletta Heavy Division, will attend.

Blasting is highly unlikely to be needed for the construction project, Verseckes previously told the Gazette.

Public comments and concerns about the project can be directed to MassDOT representatives John Romano and Jim Kersten at [email protected]

The Casey Arborway project will replace the existing Casey Overpass, a section of the Arborway over the Forest Hills T Station area, with a new network of surface streets. Over years of planning, the project was hotly controversial in the neighborhood, particularly for potential traffic impacts.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *