The state Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) recently held a series of meetings on improving safety and access for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists to the parklands and parkways of the Emerald Necklace in Jamaica Plain. Below is an update provided to the Gazette in an email by DCR.
Perkins Street and Francis Parkman Drive improvement plan:
- Over the winter, DCR will meet with the Boston Landmarks Commission to go over the design for the new stairway and connections to pathways at Jamaica Pond.
- DCR will work with bicycle advocates to improve bicycle provisions at the intersection.
- Once design is complete, DCR will submit for Order of Conditions from the Boston Conservation Commission.
- Construction is expected to take place in 2016.
Centre Street, from VFW Parkway to Murray Circle
- BETA Engineering is working on the design with the new information gathered from the previous public meeting.
- Improvements to side street intersections and traffic controls, new bike lane striping, new pedestrian crossings and measures to calm traffic are being considered.
- A follow-up public meeting is proposed for spring 2016.
Arborway between Eliot Street and South Street, including Kelley Circle and Murray Circle:
- DCR is reviewing public comments and moving forward to a 25 percent design phase, which will include surveying work.