The City Council approved last month a measure to designate the Hyde Square and Jackson Square area as the “Latin Quarter,” but the designation must clear several other procedures before becoming official, according to Mayor’s Office spokesperson Bonnie McGilpin.
Besides a public hearing and the City Council passing a resolution, both of which have happened, McGilpin said in an email that the following procedures have to transpire to make it official:
– A well-defined map of the district with cultural assets indicated must be created;
– A formal agreement executed with Hyde Square Task Force or whichever organization is ultimately chosen to create a partnership to run the district;
– The partnership must develop goals, objectives, marketing and management plans, and evaluation metrics;
– The City must agree to buy a minimum of 4 signs, which cost $145 each;
– A letter of support from the mayor.
McGilpin said that the mayor supports the proposal.