Suspect arrested in Tedeschi shooting

January 14, 2010
By

David Taber

Getaway driver not yet charged

Web Exclusive

Police have charged a suspect in the Dec. 26 shooting death of 39-year-old convenience store clerk Surendra Dangol during a robbery of the Tedeschi Food Store at 783 Centre St.—at Monument Square.

Another potential accomplice in the shooting has not been identified or charged.

The suspect, 63-year-old Roslindale resident Edward Corliss, was charged with murder this afternoon and is due to be arraigned on Tuesday, according to a press statement from District Attorney Dan Conley.

Corliss, who was on parole for another crime, has been in custody since his parole was revoked last week, Conley said. The press statement does not describe Corliss’s previous criminal record, and DA’s office spokesperson Jake Wark said he is barred by state law from discussing it.

An Edward P. Corliss Jr. was sentenced to life in prison in 1972 for the slaying of a Salisbury store clerk according to a court document.

Corliss was tracked down this time through his getaway car, a white Plymouth Acclaim from between 1986 and 1992, Conley said in the statement.

“Last week, we had two significant breaks: First, homicide detectives learned that Corliss had access to such a car through family member and began investigating him. And second, an alert parole officer contacted police to say that he had a parolee who not only had access to such a car but also facial features similar to those in the Tedeschi surveillance footage,” the press statement said.

Portions of the surveillance footage were released to the public by the Boston Police Department shortly after the shooting. That footage indicates that the shooter was aided in escaping by a getaway driver. Wark confirmed that someone else drove the getaway car. “No one else has been charged at this time,” he said.

When asked if the getaway driver was at-large, Wark said he could not coment further beyond saying, “The investigation remains focused and active.”