The Route 39 bus improvement project has been delayed once again.
The project was supposed to start this fall, but according to MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo in an email to the Gazette, it has been delayed until winter, weather permitting. Completion is expected in summer 2013. The planning began in 2008 and has been delayed several times.
The Route 39 bus is slated to undergo several changes, including the consolidation of some stops and improved amenities like new shelters and benches and “bump-out” sidewalk extensions. The project is meant to speed service and improve accessibility.
The MBTA held a meeting in June where it announced it had not secured abutters’ approval for the some curb extensions, including at the Perkins Street, Roseway Street and Seaverns Avenue stops. That left doubt whether some curb extensions might be dropped from the project.
When asked if the MBTA had received the approval of all abutters, Pesaturo did not directly answer the question. He said based on feedback so far, the MBTA did not anticipate removing any of the curb extensions.
Pesaturo also said that the curb extensions are contingent on the Public Improvement Commission’s approval, which includes a separate public outreach process.
The MBTA plans to present the project to the commission on Oct. 4, according to Pesaturo.