Jackson Sq. playground delayed again

September 14, 2012
By

A playground designed by members of the community planned for Jackson Square has been delayed a third time. The delay is due to a lengthier safety coordination process between the project team and the MBTA.

Because the playground will stand near and over underground MBTA tracks, the MBTA had to make sure that neither safety nor transit operations would be adversely impacted by the work, MBTA spokesperson Joe Pesaturo told the Gazette. The MBTA has recently approved the project’s plan.

The playground is a joint project between the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), a state agency, and Children’s Hospital Boston, who is raising the funds for the project.

“We’re making sure we’re complying with all the safety standards,” DCR spokesperson Conrad Crawford said. “The permit with the MBTA took a lot longer than we anticipated.”

The 4,000-square-foot location for the playground is adjacent to the Bromley-Heath housing development, behind the Jackson Square MBTA station and next to the existing sports courts. DCR and the MBTA have been collaborating on the project since the spring.

The playground was originally scheduled to open in summer 2011. Crawford would not speculate as to the project’s actual completion and opening date.

Construction was first delayed last year due to an innovative play structure, a Wall-holla. The structure will be first of its kind in the U.S., which caused the design team delays in ensuring all safety regulations were being followed.

The second delay was due to unexpected but required legal processes between state and non-state agencies regarding the transfer of money from Children’s Hospital Boston to DCR.

Best of JP 2014