The following notice was issued by the Boston Police Department:
District E-13 detectives are investigating an increase in commercial break-ins and acts of vandalism in the Jamaica Plain and Roxbury neighborhoods. Most of these incidents are occurring during the night hours. In some cases, the perpetrator gained access after cutting the phone lines and forcing the back door. Most recently, the rear door hinges were broken off. We are asking all business owners/managers to take proactive measures by observing crime prevention techniques and by following the tips outlined below:
- Provide good visibility into your business from the outside.
- Properly store all items left outside.
- Always close and lock all doors and windows at closing.
- Lock and secure roof access.
- Do not leave valuables in the safe. Make your bank deposits daily.
- Turn on the outside lights after dark to illuminate entrances and yards, front and back.
- Consider timers that turn on outside lights, or install motion detectors.
- We strongly recommend a motion detector switch to activate the interior lights when closed.
- Report to the City trees that are blocking street lights.
- Turn on the alarm every night when you leave the premises.
- Make sure all video cameras are properly installed and in good working condition.
If you have any information about the break-ins, you may contact the detectives at District E-13 at 617-343-5628.
For more information, or if you would like to have a free security survey of your business, contact the District E-13 Community Service Office by phone at 617-343-5624 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.